The Indonesian Accreditation Agency for Higher Education in Health (IAAHEH) which in Bahasa Indonesia is called LAM-PTKes, is an independent body that started to operate in March 2015. The agency’s development was facilitated by the Directorate General of Higher Education, Ministry of Education and Culture through Health Professional Education Quality (HPEQ) project from 2009 until 2014.
The legal foundation of LAM-PTKes are the following laws and regulations:
- Law No. 12 year 2012 regarding Higher Education, article 55, paragraph 5 which mentions that accreditation of study program as a form of public accountability is carried out by independent accreditation agencies;
- Minister of Research, Technology and Higher Education Decree No.32 year 2016 on Accreditation for Study Programs And Institutions;
- Minister of Education Decision No.291/P/2014 on Recognition of LAM‐PTKes;
After HPEQ project, as an independent accreditation agency, LAM-PTKes is funded through the accreditation fees collected from the study programs without Government subsidy. LAM-PTKes is supervised and audited every year by the National Accreditation Board for Higher Education (BAN-PT), which develops the country’s accreditation system.
One of the project’s significant contributions was the facilitation of 7 health profession organizations and their corresponding 7 associations of health education institutions (medicine, dentistry, nursing, midwifery, nutrition, pharmacy and public health) to pioneer the creation of an accreditation agency for higher education in health. They became the governing body of LAM-PTKes.
The establishment of LAM-PTKes is a landmark for Indonesia as this is the first time an independent accreditation agency is set up and is authorized to conduct accreditation for study programs in various health professions. This endeavor may be the first of its kind since most countries have an accreditation body for one particular health profession only. Other professions are currently preparing to establish independent accreditation agencies (such as engineering, psychology and accountancy). Therefore, LAM-PTKes is viewed as a role model for other professions.
“To ensure global standards of quality for higher education in health”
“To implement national accreditation of higher education in health that is sustainable and trustworthy”
- Development of accreditation policies, standards, instruments, and procedures for higher education in health to be implemented by IAAHEH;
- Quality improvement of study programs accredited by IAAHEH;
- Integration of accreditation of academic, vocational, and profession levels of education to improve competencies of health workers comperehensively;
- Competency of students graduating from study programs accredited by LAM-PTKes that meet standards and needs of society;
- Financial independence of LAM-PTKes to operate.
LAM-PTKes’ workload of study programs that need to be accredited in five years interval can be seen in the following table below.
Table 1: Number of Health Study Programs in Indonesia to be Accredited by LAM-PTKes
D3: Vocational study program at Level 5 of the Indonesian Qualification Framework (IQF);
D4: Vocational study program at Level 5 IQF;
S1: Academic study program (Bachelor) at Level 6 IQF;
Profession: Level 7 IQF;
Specialist: Level IQF;
S2: Academic study program (Masters) at Level 8 IQF;
S3: Academic study program (Doctorate) at Level 9 IQF;
The number of study programs already accredited by LAM-PTKes and their rank can be seen in Table 2 below.
Table 2: Rank of Study Programs Already Accredited by LAM-PTKes by February 2016
Indonesian Accreditation Agency For Higher Education In Health (IAAHEH/ LAM-PTKes)
Jalan Sekolah Duta 1 No. 62, RT 003, RW 014, Kelurahan Pondok Pinang, Kecamatan Kebayoran Lama, Jakarta Selatan 12310
Phone: +62 21 3417 3304; +62 21 769 0913;
Website: www.lamptkes.org E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org